Conditions of entry
Please check the Conditions of Entry carefully prior to entering, and contact the Australian Publishers Association if you have any questions.
- Materials must be developed primarily for use in Australian educational settings.
- Material must be at least 75% authored and commissioned in Australia (except for the adaptation categories, where there is a minimum of 25% Australian content, and the Tertiary [wholly Australian] categories, where 100% Australian content is required).
- Entries must have been published for the first time between 1 April 2022 and 31 March 2023.
- You may enter a complete series for consideration as long as:
- at least one component in the series has been published in the eligible year
- none of the other components have been entered previously.
For example, if you have a series for Years 7-10, and Years 7-9 published prior to 1 April 2022, but Year 10 published in May 2022, you may enter all four books as one entry, as long as you did not enter Years 7-9 for the 2022 awards.
- You may also enter parts of a series as standalone entries.
For example, if you had entered Years 7-9 of your series in the 2022 awards, you may enter Year 10 for consideration on its own in the 2022 awards.
- Digital Services/Platform entries are limited to new services or to the particular aspect of an existing service that has been substantially enhanced or added to in the 12 month eligibility period.
- New editions: It is expected that new editions will have been substantially re-designed and contain new material. In your entry information for new editions please fully describe the extent of change in comparison to the previous edition.
- You must provide a digital copy of your entry which is accessible to all judges. For example, a pdf version of the physical book. If you have any concerns regarding this, please contact the APA.
- For a series, the judges’ advice from past years is to provide all components or at least a very good number to represent the full range of the series.
- Payment must also be received by the close of entry date (Monday 19 June 2023) for your resources to be considered for judging.
- If a resource is entered in more than one category, each entry must be registered separately with a separate entry form, and will incur a separate entry fee.
- There is no limit to the number of entries that may be submitted from each publisher.
- Please follow the instructions on the entry form to include any relevant logins and passwords for digital products. When a separate login and password is required for individual judges please provide eight. A suggested pathway with screenshots giving the judges an effective way to view and use the digital resource is essential. Onus is on the companies entering to provide accurate and usable login details and guiding information. Feedback from the judges in past years is that entrants do not take this requirement seriously enough with access issues and lack of guiding information impeding their ability to view digital entries in their best light. If possible, entrants should consider providing a video demonstration, e.g. a walkthrough key components of how a student or teacher might use the product.
- Please be sure to supply all the requested additional items on the entry form.
- Please address the judging criteria in your entry.
- The Judging Panel reserves the right to:
- move a resource from the category in which it has been entered to a more appropriate category;
- rule on eligibility of any entry;
- elect not to declare winners in some circumstances.
- The decision of the judges is final. A change in category or a decision not to declare a winner may particularly apply in Primary where the number of entries in some categories can be very small.
- Entries are invited for the categories listed and will then be sorted into categories by the organisers. This flexibility is required to cater for the unpredictable number of entries per category from year to year.
- The Chief Judge reserves the right to withdraw an entry or an award on behalf of the APA if it is deemed ineligible, i.e. it does not meet the Conditions of Entry.