Fit for Life Years 7 & 8 and 9 & 10 for the Victorian Curriculum
Rob Malpeli, Claire Stonehouse, Lee Anton-Hem et al.
The new edition of Fit for Life: Health and Physical Education for the Victorian Curriculum has been explicitly aligned with the Victorian Health and PE curriculum and brings a practical and inquiry-based approach to the subject.
Particular emphasis has been placed on ensuring health and wellbeing, and respectful relationships content is up-to-date and reflects best practices in an increasingly prominent area of the curriculum. Partnerships with leading mental health and wellbeing organisations Smiling Mind and Mood Mission are among many new features for this second edition.
New edition features include:
* Investigations (eg Levels 7 & 8, p.204 and Levels 9 & 10, p.209) designed to support students to research and analyse data
* New, evidence-based wellbeing check-in activities (eg Levels 7 & 8, p., 195 & 197 and Levels 9 & 10, p.188, p.242) developed with Smiling Mind and Clinical Psychologist Dr David Bakker from MoodMission
* New and updated case studies (eg Levels 7 & 8, p.218 and Levels 9 & 10 p.191) allow students to apply their knowledge to real-world examples
New digital resources:
Videos to engage students at the start of a lesson and spark discussion, including:
* Animations to introduce important health concepts (eg, Bullying)
* Interviews and case studies with Victorian students (eg, What are some of the benefits of playing ultimate frisbee?)
* Meditation videos (from author Lee Anton-Hem, qualified meditation instructor with Meditation Australia), to further support student wellbeing.
Quizzes which provide formative assessment opportunities:
* Pre- and post- section quizzes
* Students can track their own progress with immediate feedback
Sample chapters, series overview and author team biographies available at https://cengage.com.au/secondary/fit-for-life
Webinar (Rob Malpelli): https://www.dropbox.com/s/wlremzmljci8uc2/2020_Webinar_Fit%20for%20Life.mp4?dl=0
Judges' comments for Category:
Fit for Life Level 7 & 8 and Fit for Life Level 9 & 10 are an exciting and engaging series with a practical and inquiry-based approach. The books bring together the print and digital worlds seamlessly so that students and teachers are well supported. A diverse range of learning tools, activities and assessments scaffold student learning and promote engagement, and the format encourages students to make their learning visible through reflection. The partnerships with trusted wellbeing organisations Smiling Mind and Mood Mission are a feature that is much needed in today’s world.
Judges' comments for Outstanding Winner:
The judges praised the variety of formats and tools that Fit for Life offers. Students are encouraged to engage in and reflect on their learning. The judges were particularly impressed by the real-world partnerships with trusted wellbeing organisations Smiling Mind and Mood Mission.
Cengage is the education and technology company built for learners. Confident students are successful learners, so we design tools that keep them moving toward their goals. We develop transformational, cutting-edge teaching and learning tools that promote analysis, evaluation, synthesis and application. The Nelson Cengage team publish award-winning textbooks, teacher resources and digital materials designed to meet the curriculum requirements of the State and Federal Governments in Australia and New Zealand for all years of secondary education. We are passionate about providing students and teachers with innovative and engaging resources to support exceptional learning experiences.