The winners of the 21st annual Educational Publishing awards were announced at a sold-out ceremony held at the State Library of Victoria on 17th September 2014. The awards attracted 125 entries to the Primary, Secondary and Tertiary categories, and of those entries 68 were shortlisted. The event was attended by around 140 people, including senior professionals from a range of small to large publishing companies, education and curriculum professionals at both state and federal level, and directors of industry suppliers.
Speakers at the event included:
- Senator the Hon. Scott Ryan, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Education and Senator for Victoria, who was officially representing the Hon Christopher Pyne MP, Minister for Education.
- David Barnett, Managing Director, Pearson Australia. David urged publishers to ‘seize the day’ in this time of ‘unprecedented opportunity’.
- David Howes – Executive Director, Curriculum, Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority. David acknowledged the VCAA’s support for the educational publishing industry, and the important role played by educational publishers in student learning. He spoke of his expectation for this role to grow rather than diminish as a result of:
- An increased focus on the importance of assessment that will lead to an increased demand for teaching and learning resources
- New areas of the curriculum that will require new teaching and learning resources
- The continued exponential growth of resources available through information and communication technologies will lead to an increasing demand for a service that selects, adapts and sequences the best resources.
Other speakers included our major partners:
- Murray St Leger, Chief Executive Officer, Copyright Agency
- Cliff Brigstocke, Chief Executive Officer, OPUS Group
The awards ceremony was led by Michael Gordon Smith, Chief Executive of the Australian Publishers Association. Mr Gordon Smith paid tribute to the founder of the awards and Chief Judge since their inception, Mike Horsley, and presented him with a trophy for his outstanding service to the awards.
You can view the full list of winners and congratulations to everyone who took home a trophy. We encourage you to distribute/share copies of the EPAA catalogue 2014 which lists all the shortlisted and winning entries. Thank you to our sponsors, our speakers, everyone who attended the event, and everyone who joined in the fantastic activity on Twitter for making this year’s awards such a success.